About Me

My photo
I'm a busy mom, working professional, and lover of all things fitness. I've lost 20 lbs in and kept it off for the past 2 years without stepping foot in a gym. I'm all about learning to be a better ME and paying it forward. Contact me at http://fb.me/tamaragomez18 or tamara.gomez18@gmail.com

Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Slight Edge Mentality

I’ve finished listening to The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson (for the 3rd time because I love it so much!).  The main thing that I took away from this book is that every single decision that we make, no matter how small, MATTERS.  So in terms of my health, it’s sooo easy to say “if I don’t work out today, it’s not going to matter in the long run.  It’s just 1 workout.”  Or “if I eat this Big Mac today, no big deal, it’s not going to make a difference.”  But the point of the Slight Edge is that it DOES make a difference.  Every little choice that we makes builds upon the last, and compounds over time.  It will either add up to something POSITIVE or something NEGATIVE.  Just like with working out.  So many people get on a fitness plan, then get discouraged when they don’t see results overnight.  I’m guilty of this.  I would go through phases.  I’d go to the gym, plug away on the treadmill, and then quit after a few weeks because I’d think, “this isn’t working.” What we have to learn is to be patient and take it one day at a time.  Every workout adds to the last, it may take a month, 2 months, 6 months, but it WILL happen with patience and CONSISTENCY!
I totally recommend The Slight Edge to everyone, no matter what your goals are, what your job is, go out and get it!  I like it on audiobook because I don’t have a lot of time to read, but I spend 2 hours in the car every day! 
Has anyone else read this?  What did YOU take away from it?

No comments:

Post a Comment