This turkey chili from the 21 Day Fix meal plan is a family favorite. Instead of cooking it on the stovetop, I prefer to put all of the ingredients into my crockpot and cook on low for 8 hrs or on high for 4 hrs. I also like to add some avocado on top!
(Makes 6 servings, 1 cup each)
1 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste; optional)
2 (15 oz) cans black beans (or pinto beans) drained, rinsed
1 (15 oz) can all-natural diced tomatoes, no sugar added
12 fresh cilantro sprigs, finely chopped (for garnish; optional)
- Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add turkey, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt, and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add beans and tomatoes (with liquid). Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low; gently bio, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve warm, sprinkle with cilantro.
1 Blue if adding avocado
Substitute ground turkey with diced chicken or turkey breast. Add garbanzo beans and organic corn for additional texture and flavor.