About Me

My photo
I'm a busy mom, working professional, and lover of all things fitness. I've lost 20 lbs in and kept it off for the past 2 years without stepping foot in a gym. I'm all about learning to be a better ME and paying it forward. Contact me at http://fb.me/tamaragomez18 or tamara.gomez18@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

All about cravings...

I wrote this as a reply to an email from a friend, and I thought it would make a great first post!!!  The questions were: 


How do I handle food remorse and cravings?
How much water is too much?
How do I stay motivated to work out?
Food and my diet are my biggest struggle.  I’ve never been one to crave sweets.  Instead I crave salty and crunchy foods.  Heavy comfort foods.  Especially when I am tired or overwhelmed, which is a lot of the time.  And I used to be totally addicted to Coca-Cola.  First of all I stopped buying it at home. I used to get it a lot when I ate fast food.  Now I’ve trained myself to get water, the occasional soda, but overall I have really stuck to not drinking it.  It was hard at first but little by little I just got used to it.  Now, often when I drink it, it tastes disgusting and I only end up having a few sips.   I have my days when I can be really good and I have days where I crave everything bad.  And I have issues with stopping when I am full.  Once I start, it’s a little more and a little more, and before I know it I’m stuffed and I feel nasty.  I also have major food remorse.  I use that remorse to remind myself that I don’t enjoy the feeling.
I sometimes literally argue with myself, esp. on my way home from work because that is my opportunity to stop and buy food.  It’s like the little angel and devil on my shoulders.  The little devil makes EVERY excuse in the book.  For me it’s really about constantly reminding myself of how far I’ve gotten.  And that often when I eat bad, I physically feel sick afterwards.  I don’t want to feel that way.  So I try to remember how bad I felt the last time I indulged.  It’s all about building a habit.  I am good more often than not, and when I’m on a roll it’s easier to stick to it.  When I let myself overindulge it snowballs.
And seriously, Shakeology is helping A LOT.  After I drink it, I feel satisfied and I don’t crave bad stuff.  It’s like once you do one good thing for yourself, you build momentum.  I also suffer from IBS – Irritable Bowel Syndrome and it’s helping me with that.  This past week I wasn’t consistent drinking it every day, and the past few days I’ve had the worst stomach aches and I’ve been sluggish.  When I was drinking it consistently for a few weeks, I felt so much more energized than usual and I wasn’t feeling as sick to my stomach.  I wasn’t even drinking coffee, which is HUGE for me.
So it is all about just building that momentum and being patient.  And not beating yourself up.  Your body really starts to reject junk food after a while and not even crave it anymore.  And have someone to help you stay on track.  When I’m tempted I text my bff and she yells at me LOL.
As for water, unless you are drinking gallons a day, there is really no such thing as too much.  Water is the best thing you can give yourself.  I forget to drink water sometimes during the day and then I wonder why I’m so tired and sluggish.  I always have a reusable bottle with me and I fill it constantly and sip all day.  You should be aiming for 8 – 8 oz cups a day, right before, during , and after your workouts.  I used to chug 2 tall glasses at least during Insanity!  And headaches are often caused by dehydration.  If you’re thirsty, you’re already dehydrated.
As for motivation with my workouts, I have them scheduled into my calendar.  As soon as I get home, I get dressed into my workout clothes.  No matter how tired I am, I do not let myself sit.  If I do, forget it.  I just jump right in and once I start, I feel great.
Last but not least, surrounding myself with like-minded people is helping me.  The biggest challenge is holding YOURSELF accountable.  I don’t want to give advice to others if I’m not following my own advice.  So again, it’s like my conscience telling me to be good!  I have surrounded myself with so many motivated people, I’m constantly being reminded of my goals and learning new tips and tricks.  Most of us have the same struggles, so having the support of others is key.  Sharing my experiences is helping ME more than anything!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment